Sunday, July 28, 2013

Where My Journey Began

I live in northern Alberta, Canada and just like everyone else I was trying to make a career for myself. I was working at the hospital as a health record technician.

Met my husband Vic in 1979, we married in 1982 and the bombshell came crashing down on December 17, 1985. I'll never forget that "life changing" day!

I had been noticing numbness in my toes and fingers. This kept coming and going. Saw the doctor and he said (because I'd been overweight) oh your probably dieting too much, not eating well. He could think whatever he wanted I knew something was not right.

After some time I got referred to a hospital in B.C.  I was admitted to hospital for one week and many tests were done.  The spinal tap (YUCK) was the test confirming my diagnosis. Remember there were no MRI 's back then.

Devastated and scared because I'd never heard about M.S. before we came home and started a whole new life.

We managed best we could as there was no "m.s. drugs out then. I was working full time and things were good so in 1988 our daughter was born 7 1/2 weeks pre-maturely. You know me couldn't do anything the easy way 😜.  Then another daughter in 1992. We are a close knit family so I had help whenever I needed. But physically could only work until 1985.

Okay so now I'm home on disability and not wanting to leave the house for fear of what people were saying. She's not sick she looks fine, why should she be on disability.  This ate away at me, it was months before I felt comfortable leaving the house. I would think to myself - no don't do your hair and put make up on, that will make them think there's really nothing wrong with me.

Bu you know what they have no idea about the nights I sat on the edge of the bed crying for 2-3 hours because my arms ached or my legs were jumping. Or when I couldn't walk because of optic neuritis, or just couldn't sleep. They had no fricken idea.

My doctor told me to go on disability. He said go home and enjoy your family, do what you can while you can because if you end up in a wheelchair and can't enjoy your family - the hospital isn't going give a damn about you - they probably won't even remember who you are!

So that's how I live my life. I enjoy every day as much as I can. Some days not much at and other days are amazing!

M.S. May have changed the way I do things but I still get them done 😘💕💕

Tecfidera update:

I started tecfidera on July 3 and I'm still doing amazing. No more side effects. I have noticed my brain fog has definitely been less. I still have some brain-farts when I know what I want to say but the right words just don't come out. But hey I know people who don't have m.s. that have this trouble.

Also I've noticed I hardly fall at all. My family notice that I'm much steadier when walking. This has been so good because when I'm doing better for sure I'm not getting as depressed as I used to.

Probably the biggest improvement for me has been in my sleep. I sleep through the night and wake up so rested, I love it.

Hope other angels on tecfidera are noticing some positive changes.

Prayers and love to all angels. See you next week 💕💕